Thursday, April 15, 2010

O How Foolish We Can Be!

“As there is a curse wrapped up in the wicked man’s mercies, so there is a blessing concealed in the righteous man’s crosses, losses, and sorrows.”
                                - Charles H. Surgeon, The Treasury of David

I came across this in my studying this morning and it just absolutely shook me to my humble core.  Chelsea and I were talking about blessings and the many forms that those come in the other day so I found it providentially fitting that it popped up this morning. 
Far too often we think of blessings in the form of prosperity!  We are too prideful to understand what a blessing really is.  We often think that if we have monetary wealth or great health that we are blessed.  If this is so then why is their suffering?  Now aside from going into the fall or other reasons why there is suffering stay with me for a second.  Does this mean that we are not as blessed as someone else if we do not have those “good” things? Then Spurgeon threw this out there, “there is a blessing concealed in the righteous man’s crosses, losses, and sorrows.”  How can someone be “blessed” if they are suffering?
            Spurgeon hits on a key truth that is not being addressed today.  We are not God, and in our human/prideful minds a blessing is a “good” thing.  Well it is not a “good” thing it is a great thing, and it may come in a form that we were not expecting.  As Chelsea and I were talking we came upon the thought that we sometimes look at someone who is struggling and think, “I feel bad for them” or “ Poor thing,” but to a believer it is not a burden it is a blessing.  Wow!  I simply cannot fathom how having a disease/illness can be a blessing.  But isn’t that what makes God wonderful; the spirit feels that person with joy, and they can understand that this is their cross and they are blessed by it.
            Of course, we automatically when thinking of suffering or hardship we think of our financial situation (understandable considering the times we live in), but stop and think about the missionary who is in prison right now in a hostile country.  Think about how he may never see his wife or kids again, and how he says, “I’m blessed!” to you!  Believe me, this post is so much for me as I hope God speaks to you.  Can you believe that they are so confident in the work of God, that the things they are enduring are blessings to them? Well, next time you think that life is too hard or you’re enduring a lot of suffering right now just stop and think about Spurgeon when he said, “there is a blessing concealed in the righteous man’s crosses, losses, and sorrows.”
            Now, I want to say that yes, indeed, blessings can come in the form of money or health, but isn’t it funny how we automatically assume that a blessing is a “good” thing?  Please feel free to comment, whether you agree, disagree, or would just like to add.

No comments:

Post a Comment